Strike Against Military Shuts Down Businesses Throughout Sudan

Published June 10, 2019


A general strike, called for by revolutionaries, has successfully shut down businesses throughout Sudan after military foces killed over 100 protesters in the past week.

The repressive Sudanese security forces fired tear gas and live ammunition against revolutionaries setting up barricades in Khartoum.

Four people were killed on the first day of a strike on Sunday, according to doctors aligned to the opposition.

Campaigners have called for ongoing civil disobedience from Sunday to make it as difficult as possible for the military to govern Sudan.

It comes days after a military crackdown murdered dozens of people.

A number of Sudan’s bank, airport and electricity workers were arrested ahead of the strike against the military rule, one of the main protest groups said.

The Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA) said employees were also being threatened by the authorities to scare them into going to work instead of taking part in the nationwide strike.

Revolutionaries overthrew the regime of long-time President Omar al-Bashir in April, but a counter-revolutionary coup by the military has instituted a new repressive regime.

Last Monday, the military massacred protesters at a sit-in demonstration in Khartoum. Since then, revolutionaries called for total civil disobedience and have rejected any discussion with the counter-revolutionary military regime.

Groups of militants set up barricades in roads as part of the civil disobedience campaign.

Most offices and businesses remain shut and traffic is light in the city.

On Wednesday, the rebel group SPLM-N said its deputy head, Yasir Arman, was arrested at his house in Khartoum. He had returned from exile following the downfall of Bashir.

Revolutionaries say a notorious paramilitary unit, the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), killed 108 people in the crackdown, with at least 40 bodies pulled from the River Nile in Khartoum on Tuesday.

The RSF, formerly known as the Janjaweed militia, gained notoriety for brutal atrocities in the Darfur genocide in western Sudan in 2003.

A number of women arrested by the RSF said they were repeatedly beaten with sticks and threatened with execution. They said RSF troops had told them to run for their lives, then opened fire. Other victims, they said, were forced to drink sewage water and urinated on.

In the face of increasing repression, the strike, alongside other acts of rebellion and resistance by revolutionaries in Sudan, is a powerful tactic in opposition to the brutality of the military and RSF.