Israeli Occupation Forces Target Gaza Strip

Published March 26, 2019

Israeli Occupation Forces Target Gaza Strip

The Israeli military said Monday, March 25th, it had begun carrying out strikes in the Gaza Strip, hours after a Palestinian rocket hit a house near Tel Aviv that injured seven people.

A ceasefire has been reached between Gaza and Israel after Egyptianian led negotiations.

The joint war room of Gaza resistance factions said that they had begun launching rockets towards Sderot and Netiv Ha’asara in response to “Israeli aggression in the Strip.”

They also warned that the coastal city of Ashdod will also be targeted if the Israelis continue with the strike.

Gaza health minister reported that seven people were wounded and three were evacuated to a hospital after an Israeli strike in the northern part of the besieged strip. Local councils and cities near the Gaza border opened bomb shelters for people to take shelter.

All the hospitals in the Gaza strip are asked to be on alert and schools have been closed for Tuesday.

Israeli warplanes fired at least two missiles targeting a location in Gaza city and another in the town of Beit Lahiya, in the northern Gaza Strip.

They fired another two missiles targeting an agricultural land to the east of Khan Younis and Rafah cities, in the southern Gaza Strip.

The rocket on Tel Aviv has prompted the prime minister to close the important Gaza Strip crossings at Erez and Kerem Shalom and to call on military reservists for the first time in years.

The Israeli military said in a statement that it had “begun striking Hamas terror targets throughout the Gaza Strip.”

But they are striking indiscriminately. Not only Hamas is targeted, but the whole besieged strip is also being attacked.

Israeli acting Foreign Minister Yisrael Katz said that the current strike is the most extensive action taken in Gaza since 2014’s Operation Protective Edge.

The attack, from Gaza, started while the Israeli Prime Minister was in the United States and meeting with the far right U.S. President Donald Trump. Trump signed a decree Monday at the start of a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu saying the U.S. recognizes Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights, territory that Israel seized from Syria in the 1967 Middle East war.

This decree is the second provacative action taken by the Trump regime in regards to the occupation of Palestine. Last year, the U.S. declared Israeli sovereignty over Jerusalem. These two actions have greatly increased to liklihood of a regional war, and have left Palestinian, and neighboring actors no flexibility in negotiations, making the necessity of armed action a reality.

Tensions between Gaza and Israel have been running higher than usual since March 14 when two rockets were launched into Tel Aviv causing no damage or injury. March also marks the anniversary of an intensified Great March of the Return over the past year that has seen nearly 200 Palestinians killed at the Gaza border by Israeli troops.

Netanyahu, who was supposed to speak at AIPAC’s annual conference Tuesday, cut short his visit to be back in Israel.